CONFIRMATION SPONSOR GUIDELINES
The Role of a Sponsor:
- The Sponsor is to be a role model of Christian living for the person you have sponsored, through daily prayer, virtue and active participation in parish life and liturgy.
- The Sponsor will nurture a close personal and spiritual relationship with the Candidate during the Confirmation preparation year and throughout their lifetime.
- Listen to and share in the Candidates maturing struggles and triumphs in living a Christian life, and keep yourself informed on Catholic Christian doctrine and values to be able to answer questions when they arise.
- Sponsors are encouraged to attend Confirmation Mass and Rehearsal. A proxy can stand in place of the Sponsor if needed.
The Requirements for a Confirmation Sponsor:
- The sponsor must be selected by the candidate or parents and be willing to accept the role. Only one Sponsor per Candidate.
- The sponsor must be at least 16 years of age.
- The sponsor must be a Catholic who has been Confirmed and has received the sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist and lives a life of harmony with the Catholic faith and the role to be undertaken.
- If married, the sponsor must be married in the Catholic Church.
- The sponsor must not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared.
- The sponsor may NOT be the parent of the one to be confirmed.